MONTH 1: Me Myself And I WEEK 2: The Body and You
F O O D I E F R I D A Y
BUCKWHEAT, BLACK BEAN, BODY FUEL CREPES – Recipe Below
Hey Castle-Cavers! Today for Foodie Friday we are going to explore different types of foods that are beneficial to different parts of our bodies.
THE THOUGHT: Body health from inside out!
Have you ever considered how certain types of food impact the body? There are so many types of food out there, it can sometimes get confusing as to how much of what to eat.
I really didnt want to make this about healthy dieting that promises to give you the best body ever! Firstly because food should be enjoyed and the word ‘diet’ can be perceived as.. ‘oh damn.. I can’t have this or that’ *insert sad face*.
Making healthy eating choices should never begin with a negative vibe, so secondly, I wanted to empower you to learn a little more about the body by breaking it down to see how different body parts are nourished by certain foods.
Understanding the mechanics of the body and the fuel needed to get it to work at its best, will help you value the hard work it does and how you can help it run smoothly! For this I am breaking the body down into 3 groups:
1. inside (our muscles and skeletal)
2. outside (our skin)
3. insides (the guts)!
Sometimes we get caught up in every day life and don’t nourish our bodies sufficiently, or we can get fixated on perhaps only one part of our bodies (for example, muscle building or loosing fat) and neglect the other parts. Either way it’s easy for there to become an imbalance within our bodies.
Let’s bring back some balance by exploring some foods that will do the best job for our inside, outside and insides!
THE FACTS/ interesting info:
Inside: Types of food our body needs for healthy muscles and skeletal:
Without getting into all the science behind Protein Synthesis, our muscles need protein to grow! It is an essential part of our diet and can be found in more foods than just meat. Some different sources of protein are:
Our bones need a good dose of not only Calcium but also Vitamin D to stay strong and healthy. A good source of Vitamin D in our diet can come from fatty fish such as salmon.
Dairy on the other hand, such as Greek yoghurt, is a rich source of Calcium. You can also find calcium in other foods, such as dark leafy greens like Kale.
outside: Types of foods our body needs for healthy skin:
In yesterdays thoughtful Thursday post, we learnt that our skin is our bodies largest organ, so it is important we look after it and give it the nourishment it needs to be healthy and to grow and glow strong! Some great options are:
1. Fatty fish (Salmon, Mackerel, Sardines) – High in Omega 3’s which moisturises and keep skin thick and supple.
2. Avocados – Good source of Vitamin E an important antioxidant that protects skin from damage.
3. Vitamin C rich – Found in foods such as Broccoli, Oranges, Strawberries, Blueberries, sweet potato and more. They are another important antioxidant which not only helps support our immune system, but is also needed to produce collagen in the skin to help it grow strong and look radiant!
Insides: Types of foods our body needs for a healthy gut:
First and foremost, you need to pay attention to your gut. If you are intolerant to a type of food, your body is usually quite good at showing you some signs. They can range anywhere from bloating, to feeling pain in the stomach or intestines; inflammation; headaches; mood swings etc. You may even be intolerant to more than one food type.
Some of the most common food intolerance’s that affect the gut are:
1. Sugar – Found in sweets and many processed foods.
2. Dairy – Milk, cheese, yoghurt etc.
3. Gluten – Products containing Wheat, barley, Rye, Oats, etc. Also things you might not even realise that are made from these products for example, soy sauce, or spices that contain filling ingredients.
6. Nightshades – a group of foods consisting of Peppers (all types from chillies to Bell), Eggplant, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Okra, Goji berries.
Not everybody is sensitive to these food types so if you are not, you do not have to eliminate them! They also have some benefits if your body is tollerant of them.
If however you have symptoms or on-going issues with your gut, you may want to try cutting them out for a month or two and see how you feel. Slowly adding them back into your daily consumption will show you any adverse reactions to them, much more clearly.
Give yourself some Gut boosting and supporting foods in the mean time, to help heal and balance your insides. A great option is..
(The good kind of bacteria).
They can be found in:
1.Yoghurt that has live cultures
2. Sauerkraut (fermented cabbage)
3. Kefir (fermented milk drink)
4. Pickles (brined in salt and water)
5. Kimchi (spicy fermented Korean dish, usually containing cabbage as the main ingredient)
P O S I T I V E L I F E S T Y L E C H A N G E
I came up with the Body Fuel Crepes recipe that is not only YUM but also good for the body! Give them a go and enjoy with family and friends!
Of course there’s no denying a balanced diet is always a winner for optimum health, but try challenging yourself to come up with a body boosting recipe that you can enjoy regularly! Or at the very least adding in one of the above ingredients to your meals every day to kick things off!
Have FUN! and Let me know in the comments below what you thought of the Body Fuel Crepes and any delicious recipes you thought of in the process!